We made chocolate and vanilla cupcakes and iced them with Meringue frosting.It was my first time using this type of icing and it was not only delicious but it creates a glossing topping for the cupcakes. Instead of icing the cupcakes we just dipped them in the icing with was much faster and gave a smoother finish. Then added sprinkles and a bubble gum ball to finish them off.
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Cream butter.
- Add sugar, mix until light.
- Add eggs and vanilla beat until fluffy.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Combine both the dry and butter mixtures until blended.
- Pour into cupcake holders.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden. To check to see if they are done on the inside poke a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean they are done.
WHIPPED MERINGUE FROSTING
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup egg whites (3 large eggs)
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teas vanilla
- In a double boiler or a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of water, combine egg whites, sugar, salt and water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high until glossy, stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Do not over beat.
- Reduce speed to low and add vanilla, mix till blended. Use right away.
- Frost the cupcakes by dipping the cooled cupcake into the frosting. Turn the cupcake in the frosting and pull up, this will form a nice peak in the cupcakes center.